PAP education and follow-up are very important to keeping up with your treatment. Problems such as mask fit, redness around the nose, and dryness or nasal stuffiness can result in giving up on treatment prematurely, which is why we are here to help you.
Please keep in mind that it may take some time to adjust to the therapy. If you continue to have any trouble, please contact Bluepoint Medical and we will work with you to help reduce any potential side effects.
- Begin using your PAP for short periods of time during the day while you watch TV or read a book.
- Use PAP every night and for naps. Using it less often reduces health benefits and will make it harder for your body and mind to get used to.
- Make small adjustments to your mask, tubing, straps and headgear until you get a more comfortable fit.
- Use a saline nasal spray to relieve mild nasal congestion. Take a nasal decongestant to relieve more severe congestion or irritation.
- Use the heated humidifier option on your PAP device to enhance your breathing comfort and limit drying out in the nasal passage. Use DISTILLED water when using your humidifier.
- Work with Bluepoint Medical to find the right type of mask option for you.
- It is important that you check with your physician if you experience significant weight gain or loss (10-15 lbs) as this may change the optimal air pressure to keep your airway open.
- Clean your mask interface daily, or as often as needed.
- Clean your tubing, headgear, filter, and humidifier chamber at least once a week.
- Regularly check and replace the filters and tubing on your CPAP device.
Please visit our Youtube channel to watch more maintenance videos!