Five Fun Facts About Sleep
1. People typically pass through five different stages of sleep each night. Most sleep stages are experienced more than once each night. Slow wave sleep and REM sleep are examples of two different types of sleep that occur in two different stages.
2. Driving while drowsy is very risky. You would not drink and drive so you should also seriously consider not driving when sleep deprived and drowsy. Many vehicle accidents happen due to sleep-deprived individuals behind the wheel.
3. Poor sleep negatively affects your ability to concentrate and remember things. Poor sleep may even mimic memory loss or depression. People have significant trouble with memory recall following nights of poor sleep.
4. Insomnia and Sleep Apnea are not the only sleep disorders. There are many different types of sleep disorders, not just Insomnia and Sleep Apnea. Narcolepsy and REM Sleep Behavior Disorder are just two other examples of sleep disorders.
5. You obtain more RED sleep in the second half of the night. Your first short period of REM sleep occurs about 90 minutes after you initially fall asleep. However, most of the important REM sleep you obtain happens much later in the night/early morning.
#insomnia #obesity #sleepapnea
Authored by: Lauren King, PsyD
Licensed Clinical Psycologist, CBT-I Provider